Saturday, November 29, 2008

Are You Out There? Can You Hear This?

In the 1990's I served as singer/songwriter Dar Williams' manager. One of the songs for which we had high hopes of snagging the American public's ears was called "Are You Out There," about the takeover of alternative voices on the radio dial by the corporate behemoth known as Clear Channel.... of course, as we noticed in retrospect... hey! ....since Clear Channel ...had already taken over America's airwaves... the song didn't ...become ...a ...hit. 

This is why I wasn't a terribly good manager. But the line occurred to me as I sat down to try to write my first blog entry.

I've never blogged before. It sounds like a euphemism for something embarrassing, like "vomiting in public."

Oh. Right. It sort of is vomiting in public. But what's the harm? Since I'm apparently not in consideration for a post in the Obama administration, I can (metaphorically) blog all over everybody's metaphorical lawn till the cows come home.

Which sounds very Vermont. The cow part I mean. Not the blogging on people's lawns part. THAT sounds like something that would happen at Dartmouth, across the river.

ANYWAY, it sounds like many of us wiggly little artiste types are having a devil of a time trying to wrap our crania around just exactly what it is we're supposed to be coming up with in order to hit the Art of Action g-spot. It's really interesting. I think it may be that we are very used to the idea of us, the wiggly artistes, just creating the stuff, with it being up to the viewer to interpret the exact meaning of the work. Didn't we learn somewhere that it was not cool to be too overtly political (or at least too overtly sincere)? 

Everyone would much rather be Bob Dylan than Phil Ochs.

3 comments:

Clair said...

Yeah Charlie!
I've been waiting for you to show up. As a poet Bob Dylan is hot. As a performer and singer, he's not.

And I still want to have a beer with you! (That's a reference to a comment I made on a comment you made on mine, or somebody's blog. -- Oh what a tangled web we weave.)

docjohn said...

Charlie,
Great to read you weighing in over the blog syndrome. As I wonder about such forms of communication, I must remind myself (as you suggest, I think) blogging may well have been a large factor in Obama's election, not unlike the carte-de-visit photograph with Lincoln's election.
Chris Whitley. My niece who lives in Saxton's River use to perform with him.

Susan Abbott said...

Charlie, if anyone should be blogging it's you, because humor and brains are in short supply in the blogosphere. I was just listening to "Calling the Moon" last night as I was watching the moon from my car window on I-89 crossing Vermont border, and as usual was happy to be driving north and going home. (Also was thinking about Dar Williams career...and thinking about Rosemary, and thinking about the law). Clair, I'll take you up on a beer and argue with you over Dylan's singing ability. Charlie, I also made the Dylan and Ochs comparison in my video interview, oddly enough. I thought about the two of them again yesterday while looking at paintings in New York (Morandi and George Tooker) and considering how ambiguity and specificity can coexist. But not in illustrations, manifestos or polemics. Kind of the difference between "The Ocean" by Dar and "Santa Domingo" by Phil Ochs.